Marc Bolan Quotes

1. Some of the Motown things are good. There are lots of good, good black people, like Otis Redding and Buddy Guy.  




2. I think you can state a thing so openly it defeats the purpose, which I think John Lennon has done recently.

3. I want fun now, life is here to enjoy, not to complicate and make difficult.


4. Metal Guru is like one of your local deities, it's a personal god, a superhero, someone who would help you. I was trying to get down some religious sentiment without it being religious.

5. It's real hard getting used to another country.

6. In the film, "Children of the Revolution" is 12 minutes long.

7. Bessie Smith is an old blues singer I liked a lot. John Lennon has a nice voice.


8. I don't try to be a star. Some people are just special, marked with something. They know it about themselves.




9. I'm obviously not going to be changed because of the success, I haven't been so far. I'm an honest person. I feel periods of great energy and periods of great weariness.

10. Without the friends I have around me I'd be in a mental institution. That's a fact.


11. Basically I am just a street kid and all the money I have now has allowed me to buy my freedom.






12. Really, everything has to be enjoyable. I don't do it for the money anymore. I'm a millionaire. I have half a dozen cars and a house in England.

13. When I was 14, I was a mod fashion model and made weekly appearances on British TV. When I was 17 I was a chauffeur to a rich man in Paris, a professional magician.


14. My first group was Tyrannosaurus Rex, which got together in 1968 and we came to the US in 1969.

15. I think you can state a thing so openly it defeats the purpose, which I think John Lennon has done recently.

16. I brought home Bill Haley's Rock Around the Clock and the rest is history, as they say. It was the best thing I had ever heard.

17. Most people listen to hi-fi wrongly. Practically everyone has too much bass on because they think it's groovy. Bass has to be bright funk.


18. I've always been able to adjust to any sort of situation. If I lost all of my money tomorrow, it wouldn't worry me because I've been about as poor as you can get.

19. When we play badly I know we're playing badly. I don't care if there's a million kids going mad, I'm not happy.

20. I've got 26 guitars. Basically they're all Gibsons and Stratocasters. All the other ones are handmade ones. But I've got about six Les Pauls and flying arrows.


21. I mean, I am my own fantasy.


22. Ringo and I are very close friends.

23. I don't believe there is security. You could die tomorrow.

24. I am a performer and only a performer. I don't know how to do anything else like bluepint a building or fix autos or anything.


25. I loved being out in the city at night. I loved meeting new people all the time. I was always being thrilled by the possibility of what could happen next.

26. I don't like telephones.

27. I'd prefer to listen to Smokey Robinson than The Bee Gee's.


28. I've lived with my own ego for so long that I am bored with it. I was once a wash up in a hamburger bar. Now I have a best-selling book in England called "The Warlock of Love".





29. I think I am a child. Everything blows my mind.


30. I'm very much a media person. I always have the television on and the sound down when I'm listening to records.

31. I don't like cassettes. They sound terrible. I record on them when I'm in the toilet writing songs, but that's about it.


32. I can play piano a bit, bass, organ, melotron. You can play anything if you try.


33. All rock musicians are deaf…Or insensitive to mellow sounds.



34. Emotion has to be foremost. When I feel emotional I'm equipped to express myself.


35. I was a mod prince. It was the very beginnings of sequin rock and I had lots of clothes, but I didn't have any money. I was singing in the streets.


36. "Children of the Revolution" is lightly political in its own way, but I just don't say who it's against, you know? You have the choice to sort it out yourself.

37. I prefer Jimmy Page to Jeff Beck. I think Eric Clapton is the most tasteful.


38. There is so little time for us all; I need to be able to say what I want quickly and to as many people as possible.



39. I suppose most songs would be in E or G. But that's the basic range. I do a lot in C, do some in D. Take you pick.

40. When I play a live gig once a week it helps to recharge me. I'm working on my new sound. Softer but harder, like liquid concrete.


41. I've never seriously thought about building a home studio like so many rock musicians do.


42. I just dig dancing.

43. I don't try to chase after the latest audio stuff.

44. Some of the best classical records I've heard have been 78's.

45. When I'm in America I tend to listen to more black stations.


46. I live my life with a sense of urgency that most people can't comprehend.

47. Our lives are merely trees of possibilities.

48. I've never been into the trappings of luxury.


49. I feel there is a curse on rock stars.







50. A lot of people don't know about music, but buy records. A lot of people that know about music can't afford to buy records.


51. I'm not the kind of cat that will OD. I am religious and mentally and spiritually clean. I don't do anything to an excess. I don't have any consuming pain inside me like many pop stars. I don't have a death wish.




52. Some people think because I wear makeup that I am gay. But one thing has nothing to do with the other.

53. I was and am a free spirit. I wanted to gather information and experience everything! To get out and really live, not just hang around the house and dream.


54. Be strong and follow your own convictions. You can't assume there is a lot of time to do what you like. This is what David Bowie is afraid of: that he will die before he gets a chance to make a real strong contribution.


55. I knew Jimi Hendrix about 1967 when he first came to England, so I could see him develop, and he was incredible.


56. How do you imagine David Cassidy must feel about most of the stuff written about him in those teenybopper magazine? He doesn't get a penny from this unauthorized stuff and neither do I.


57. My head is perfectly clean inside.


58. I actually master records myself-that's the truest sound.





59. It's like if you take acid, it burns out brain cells and they don't regrow. Rock is like that-it has killed beautiful people musically, physically and mentally.

60. I'm an old rocker. I used to appreciate Buddy Holly. I once carried Eddie Cochran's guitar for him when I was 8 years old.


61. I never understood why people had dark windows in cars. I do now. There are times when attention can be fun. But it's not always like that.




62. I tend to play a lot of blues things at home, because most blues things are basically within a 12-bar pattern.


63. If you Dolby when you record and then Dolby when you master, you can get a woolly sound.




64. I really do feel there are many lives; not just this one.


What do you think of Marc Bolan's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts