Leonardo DiCaprio Quotes

1. I got attention by being funny at school, pretending to be retarded, and jumping around with a deformed hand.





2. I prefer ordinary girls - you know, college students, waitresses, that sort of thing. Most of the girls I go out with are just good friends. Just because I go out to the cinema with a girl, it doesn't mean we are dating.


3. I'm not the kind of person who tries to be cool or trendy, I'm definitely an individual.



4. To believe in love, to be ready to give up anything for it, to be willing to risk your life for it, is the ultimate tragedy.

5. Don't think for a moment that I'm really like any of the characters I've played. I'm not. That's why it's called "acting".


6. Brothers don't necessarily have to say anything to each other - they can sit in a room and be together and just be completely comfortable with each other.



7. Drugs? Every one has a choice and I choose not to do drugs.


8. The first kiss I had was the most disgusting thing in my life. The girl injected about a pound of saliva into my mouth, and when I walked away I had to spit it all out.



9. Everywhere I go, somebody is staring at me, I don't know if people are staring because they recognize me or because they think I'm a weirdo.


10. I don't see why I can't have friends of both sexes without wild rumors being circulated. It's crazy.






11. I've never been Romeo who meets a girl and falls for her immediately. It's been a much slower process for me each time I've gone into a relationship.


12. I was always the kid in school who tried to get attention, not necessarily the class clown, but I'd do little unexpected performances.




13. I'm just starting to scratch the surface of what really makes me happy and it's taken me a while to admit that acting like a little child and being a jerk and a punk is fun.


14. With Romeo and Juliet, you're talking about two people who meet one night, and get married the same night. I believe in love at first sight-but it hasn't happened to me yet.


15. The best thing about acting is that I get to lose myself in another character and actually get paid for it...It's a great outlet. I'm not really sure who I am - it seems I change every day.


16. I don't think I ever expected anything like an Oscar ever, to tell you the truth. That is not my motivation when I do these roles. I really am motivated by being able to work with great people and create a body of work that I can look back and be proud of.

17. I really don't know what I'm doing...I don't. It's terrible. I go in there and I learn how to be like the character and do the best I can, and that's all I really do.


18. I get a friend to travel with me...I need somebody to bring me back to who I am. It's hard to be alone.






19. I want to be a jerk like the rest of my friends, and have fun, and not care about the consequences, but I just can't now.


20. I've always been spontaneous and outgoing... I've tried lots of things so I've got some good life experiences, which is great 'cause it means I've got lots of material to work with as an actor.



21. My dad's probably one of the kindest people in the world. When I was younger that's not how I was - I was a little spoiled brat.

22. When a role for a young guy is being offered to me, I think of River Phoenix. It feels like a loss.


23. Being dubbed as a hunk sort of annoys me. It gives me a yucky feeling.







24. Hoover was incredibly ambitious as a young man. He was highly motivated to succeed in Washington, primarily due to his mother's expectations of him.


25. I am friends with Demi. Don't believe anything you read.

26. I couldn't deal with playing a character who rides motorcycles and has a leather jacket and is a tough kid, y'know?

27. I didn't know what types of movies I wanted to do. I want to do things that are different. I want to take my time with each role.


28. I grew up when I was 15 when I had my first opportunity in movies. I watched every great movie for a year and a half, and since then I've asked myself how I can emulate such artistry. That's really my motivation. I want to do something as good as my heroes have done.

29. I just really love doing what I do. I know every career is fleeting and there will be time periods when I don't get the opportunities that I'm getting right now, so I am taking advantage of them.


30. I just want to keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully people will watch my movies.







31. I have learned from my experiences in this industry that there is absolutely no way to control people's opinions on your performance in your movie. You go out there, promote your film and hope people like the work you did.


32. I like to be able to play a character and act out a lot of things which I can't or don't do in my normal everyday life.






33. I'm probably not going to get married unless I live with somebody for 10 or 20 years. But these people (Romeo and Juliet) took a chance and they did it. We don't have the balls that Romeo did.


34. I realize that I do not change the course of history. I am an actor, I do a movie, that's the end of it. You have to realize we are just clowns for hire. After I had success it was great, at first, not to worry about money. It was on my mind when I was growing up.

35. I've been planted here to be a vessel for actin... That's why I'm really taking any part, regardless of how complicated it's going to be.

36. I've managed to keep a clear head and remain sane in this business because I remain a kid off-camera.

37. If I want to go to a party with a few male friends, it doesn't mean I'm gay.


38. If you can do what you do best and be happy, you're further along in life than most people.






39. It's easy to fall into the trap of believing all the hype that's written about you... Who knows? In a couple of years, you might find me in the loony bin!


40. My career should adapt to me. Fame is like a VIP pass wherever you want to go.

41. Meryl Streep does things I would never have thought possible... Her presence on screen is outstanding.

42. My mother is a walking miracle. 


43. My mom, Irmelin, taught me the value of life. Her own life was saved by my grandmother during World War II.



44. Portraying emotionally ill characters gives me the chance to really act.


45. My father, George, has also affected the choices in my life regarding films. I like films that take chances or say something different or experiment. Growing up with him, I was surrounded by different artists - not just actors or film-makers but cartoonists, poets, writers.

46. Raising awareness on the most pressing environmental issues of our time is more important than ever.




47. School, I never truly got the knack of. I could never focus on things I didn't want to learn.


48. The good thing about acting is that it always keeps you on your toes... It's not like any other job where you can go in and do the same thing as yesterday.


49. The role of Rimbaud is one of the most important roles to play for a young actor.


50. You do need parental guidance and I was in a great position with both my mum and dad. They split when I was a baby but even though I stayed with my mom they were both very much involved in my upbringing.

51. (On working with Martin Scorsese in Gangs of New York 2002) He's a perfectionist, obsessed with detail. That's why he went over budget and over schedule.


52. The great thing about turning 30 in this business is that you get to perpetuate being young or old as long as we want.





53. You can either be a vain movie star, or you can try to shed some light on different aspects of the human condition.


54. As a little kid growing up in Hollywood, I was called "a little crazy". And now I guess I'm still that way.






55. I like to help the whales, the otters, and the dolphins. When I'm acting and I take a break, the first thing on my list is spending time by the sea.


56. People want you to be a crazy, out-of-control teen brat. They want you miserable, just like them. They don't want heroes; what they want is to see you fall.







57. It's a really obvious thing to say, but the more people know too much about who you really are, and it's a fundamental thing, the more the mystery is taken away from the artist, and the harder it is for people to believe that person in a particular role.


58. I don't really have many extravagances. I don't fly private jets and I don't have bodyguards and I don't buy crazy things. I have a couple of houses here and there. I bought a very expensive watch, and I am going to buy a really expensive movie poster, the original for The Thief of Bagdad (1940). I love movie posters.


59. (On fame) As soon as enough people give you enough compliments and you're wielding more power than you've ever had in your life, it's not that you become an arrogant little prick, or become rude to people…but you get a false sense of your own importance and what you've accomplished. You actually think you've altered the course of history.


60. Martin has brought so much to the art form of film, and he is not the type of person who would be upset by not receiving an Oscar, although it is a practical joke that he has not won an Academy Award after all these years. Whatever opinions critics will have of The Aviator (2004), I really think that this is a great piece of art: once again, he has made a great classic film.

61. I kind of feel like the same person except more time has gone by. I hate to say that I feel like an adult now. I have to admit I wish I was still 18. After all, even through the time while I was representing that wild kid, I really wasn't. I was just living my life. I was just not making movies at the time.


62. (On whether there are any aspects of fame he dislikes) You kidding? I feel very fortunate. A lot of people would love to be in my position. There are so many people out there who are suffering trillions of times more than I could ever suffer, and would love to be me. I am a lucky little bastard.


63. Yes, I can play younger than my age. But I can play characters older than I am, too. I'm not an actor who can just play the kid.


64. You learn after you've been in the business for a while that it's not getting your face recognized that's the payoff. It's having your film remembered.







65. I lived in Hollywood and, ironically, I didn't know you could just go out and get an agent and go on auditions and try and become an actor, I thought it was like a Masonic thing, like a blood line you had to belong to - until I was 13. Then I realized what you had to do. It is the one thing I know I want to do for the rest of my life.


66. (on losing out on the Oscar to Jamie Foxx during the 2005 Academy Awards) I wasn't surprised that Jamie got the award. But I knew that cameras would be stuffed up my face so I had my response ready. Anyone who says they don't practice is a liar. 



67. I was behind a woman at the checkout counter who was looking at the magazines. She turned to me and goes: "There he is again, that Leonardo DiCaprio. Don't you wish he'd just disappear?" I said (to myself), this is the moment where I either go: "Do you know who I am?" or put my hat further down, pay for my corn-nuts and get out of there…I choose to avoid that.


68. My first date was with a girl named Cessi. We'd had a beautiful relationship over the phone all summer long. Then she came home and we met to go out for the first time to the movies. When I saw her I was petrified. I couldn't even look her in the eye to talk to her.

69. I like girls who are intelligent, somewhat funny, and pretty with a nice personality.

70. It's a weird adjustment living alone, because you don't realize how much you really miss Mumsie until she's not there.


71. Dark green is my favorite color. It's the color of nature and the color of money and the color of moss!








72. I'm absolutely clean. I've never tried anything. That's not a lie!

73. I don't have emotions about a lot of things. I rarely get angry, I rarely cry. I guess I do get excited a lot, but I don't get sad and enormously happy. I think a lot of people who talk about all that crap are lying. Right now I'm just trying to maintain happiness - that's all I really care about. Anyway, when you're my age and your hormones are kicking in, there's not much besides sex that's on your mind.


74. I insist on keeping a level head. I've maintained the same exact home life that I've had for 20 years. All I see is more people looking at me than before. But, you know, who cares? You just can't obsess yourself with this fame stuff. 


75. One of my passions is to meet people and then imitate them. I love doing that.

76. I hate speaking in front of a large audience. I don't know where it came from…but its just this gut-wrenching fear of slipping up and doing something horrible.


77. People always like to make up stories. I am not planning on getting married. Then again, I might wake up tomorrow and decide to get married!




78. (On success) I've just been jolting along from one film to another…Now, it's sort of a shock to realize what I've achieved.

79. Fame is not the worst thing. I went to dinner the other night, and the girls in the restaurant ignored me. It was so annoying.


80. Bridget Hall and I hung out for a week. 


81. I have the same problem as Edward Furlong.

82. I'm so thin!

83. It's tricky stuff. If you're not perfect in every film, then people say: "see, he was just lucky in one role".

84. (On his career) I admit I've done a few lousy roles in the beginning of my career, like my role in Critters 3 (1991). But at that age, you'll do anything for attention!


85. (Told to thousands at the New Jersey concert for Live Earth) A consensus has emerged in our scientific community that global warming is no longer merely a theory but a reality, a crisis with truly global implications for planet Earth and all of us who share it.




86. (On Titanic 1997) It was pretty disheartening to be objectified like that. I wanted to stop acting for a little bit. But it changed my life in a lot of ways, but at the same time, I can't say that it didn't give me opportunities. It made me, for the first time, in control of my career.


87. My mom and I lived at Hollywood and Western, a drug-dealer and prostitute corner. It was pretty terrifying. I got beat up a lot. I saw people have sex in the alleys. I remember I was 5 years old, and this guy with a trench coat, needles and crack cornered me. Early on, seeing the devastation on my block, seeing heroin addicts, made me think twice about ever getting involved in drugs. It's evil. Once you take that step and experiment, drugs can take over your life. You are not yourself anymore. That's something I never wanted. I didn't have a lot of friends growing up. It was kind of just me and my parents. But because of them, the neighborhood did not have a bad effect on me. My dad introduced me to artists, and every few months we'd go to some hippie doo-dah parade as Mudmen in our underwear, carrying sticks and covered in mud. My mother did everything to get me into the best schools she could find.

88. If you hear of any incident about me - a fight, a change of clothes, a little extra gel in the hair, don't believe it till you talk to me.


89. I think people read the tabloids because they want to see you eating a burger, or out of your makeup or doing something stupid because they just want to see that you're like everyone else. And that's OK. I don't want to catch myself anymore saying that my life is hard, because the good far outweighs the bad in my life. And it's easier to focus on those things, on the things that are important.

90. I hate being selected as "Babe of the Month" and being called "hunk".


91. The last thing I want to turn into is a fat Hollywood jerk. I was brought up without much money and I was happy. I don't think that I will strive for money or success and end up greedy or big-headed. That only leads to unhappiness. I can still be down-to-earth and do this job as long as I enjoy it.

92. My God, no! I hate this whole hunk thing! I feel when I see myself in that, and these other cute faces, that I'm just part of this meat factory, like: "Wow! Here's the hunk of the month! This month we're shoving Leonardo DiCaprio down your throat! Isn't he cute. Let's put him on the cover and we'll sell so many more magazines…" That's definitely not what I want to be, and I've tried real hard to get away from that whole situation.

93. I cheated a lot, because I just couldn't sit and do homework. I usually sat next to someone extremely smart.


94. When I was young, I used to have this thing where I wanted to see everything. I used to think: "How can I die without seeing every inch of this world?"



95. What I definitely feel a need for is to make my life about more than just my career.


96. Just last night I was thinking to myself how little of my life has been lived normally and not spent on some far-off movie location. I want to get married and have children. In saying that, I realize I am contradicting everything I've said before. I absolutely believe in marriage.


97. I feel like a whole era in my life is over. My grandma died last week. I have no more grandparents. I feel that coming ahead in my life is more stripping away, for sure. I feel very sad that Oma is gone.


What do you think of Leonardo DiCaprio quotes?



Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts